Shoutbox

Last 8 Shouts:

Sotiras

September 29, 2014, 02:19:36 PM
SW:TOR Bruce Maclean "We are holding the announcement back a bit to add something really nice for subscribers, and we’ll be revealing all shortly - a couple of weeks at the latest." http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=7697464#edit7697464

Viperid

September 25, 2014, 05:39:19 PM
Got booted from TS Mord...

Sotiras

September 25, 2014, 12:01:07 PM
Wildstar 9/25/2014 State of the Game - http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/state-of-the-game/

Ketricel

September 16, 2014, 12:34:14 PM
Oricon

Bozo Fett

September 16, 2014, 12:24:12 PM
What planet are we invading?

Ketricel

September 16, 2014, 08:13:42 AM
Raids will be starting at 8pm EST tonight (9/16/14)!! Lots of conquest points to be had through operations this week as well :)

Show 50 latest

Team Speak

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 02, 2014, 07:26:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn  (Read 9470 times)

Re: Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
« Reply #75 on: August 31, 2013, 09:59:39 PM »

Offline Auric

• Northbourne
Yeah it's getting a little silly now. I clocked myself this morning before the servers were even in prime time, it took me just shy of an hour to get in. I think it's pretty clear at this point they weren't expecting anywhere close to the number of people they ended up with. It's so frustrating for the customers though. We are all paying for this game and should be able to play at our leisure, not when the winds of fate allow us to actually log in to the game =/

Also it seems that FF14 hasn't inherited FF11's famed community. I'm starting to run into people with the WoW mentality already. Mocking people for going to slow, leaving a group if there's a wipe, general trolling, ect.

Oh and here's a tip. Try to have a Job by before you run Haukke manor(Level 28). It's the first dungeon where I've noticed a substantial jump in difficulty. Brayflow Longstop(Level 32) is a very challenging dungeon. I healed it twice today, the first run we wiped twice, both on the first boss. Second time we wiped once and it was again on the first boss but I attribute this to the fact that the tank was a Marauder and not a Warrior. I honestly don't think I would've been able to heal them if I was still running around as a Conj.

« Reply #76 on: August 31, 2013, 10:31:25 PM »

Offline Black Mink

Yoshida made a few posts in the last few days concerning the servers. He basically confirmed everything I was saying. There are 50 servers in total. Each server is capable of 5000 players logged in at the same time. But they have so far sold about 700,000 copies of the game... and that's not counting the people who bought the game three years ago.

They could very well have a million players trying to play right now, but they only have the servers to support 250,000 players at most. Massive oversight on their part.

But, they are currently installing new servers now. They should be made available Wednesday. They are also looking into giving everyone some extra free game time because of this.

---

Auric it sounds like you are doing pretty well if you are into the 30s. I am still struggling to log in most of the time. When I do get in I make as much progress as I can before logging out. Tonight I just barely got to 30 and did the Summoner quest.

« Reply #77 on: September 01, 2013, 04:40:41 AM »

Offline Draegos

Dont mike Marauders? They very few times i tanked it didn't seem like i had a problem. but im only level 18 or so, i still havent done that main story dungeon yet

« Reply #78 on: September 01, 2013, 05:20:43 AM »

Offline Black Mink

No, he means marauders who haven't yet upgraded to Warrior job at 30.

« Reply #79 on: September 01, 2013, 07:56:40 AM »

Offline Auric

• Northbourne
Yeah Marauders are fine at Tanking pre-30. After 30 the difficulty level in dungeons increases to the point where you're really going to stress your healer if you run Marauder instead of Warrior. I mean you can still do it, I just don't recommend it. The stat bonuses from a Job in place of a class are pretty substantial plus the added abilities you get as a job make it silly not to run one while you're dungeon running anyways.

« Reply #80 on: September 01, 2013, 06:16:14 PM »

Offline Draegos

wonder if its better as a paladin

« Reply #81 on: September 01, 2013, 09:18:19 PM »

Offline Auric

• Northbourne
Well Pally and Warrior are both great Tanks. I ran Brayflox like 5 times over the past two days hoping for the caster chest piece(Which never dropped ;-;) and when I have either Pally or Warrior Tanks things tend to go really smooth. Also I just beat my second Primal fight tonight. I won't spoil which one it is except to say that the fight is awesome. Really cool boss theme starts playing which is very appropriate for that primal. The fight was tough to. Tons of damage and mechanics to watch out for. I'm really glad that this game is PVE focused because it honestly shows. Most of the Dungeons, Duties, and Primal fights are all very well done. While the early dungeons are very "Kid gloves" by level 30 the gloves come off so to speak.

And while I should have expected this in a Final fantasy MMO, the amount of people running around with Final fantasy names is just silly. I swear there's at least 50 people on my server that have the last name Highwind or Highwinds. A few Strife, Beoulve and Leonheart's kicking around too. That and Game of thrones names.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 08:36:21 AM by Auric »

« Reply #82 on: September 01, 2013, 09:31:59 PM »

Offline Black Mink

Yea, I am just about to start the quests for the second primal fight. I would be so much further on levels if it weren't for 1017. And Leviathan is probably one of the worst for it, as one of the most popular servers. The only way I can play is:

1. Play early in the morning, provided I have time before work that day.

2. Log in early in the morning and play all day long, provided I am not working that day.

3. Try to log in during prime time and hope to get extremely lucky.

I refuse to be one of those people who just hogs a spot by never logging off. As much as I hate not being able to log in, I am not going to be a part of that problem.

« Reply #83 on: September 02, 2013, 04:30:13 AM »

Offline Draegos

what company did you guys join?

« Reply #84 on: September 02, 2013, 02:14:43 PM »

Offline Auric

• Northbourne
Grand company or Guild Company? I haven't joined a guild because I'd like to transfer off of Exodus at some point. As for Grand company I decided on joining the Twin Adders. I only picked them because I find Gridania to be the easiest of the cities to navigate. Limsa isn't terrible but can still be a bit confusing at first, Ulda is my bane, I really don't care for how it's set up.

Yeah Mink I don't envy you. My server is bad but not that bad. usually takes 15-30 minutes to get on when not in prime time. 30-45 when it is prime time. Obviously with it being a holiday weekend the times seem to be a bit higher but hopefully that will decrease in the days that follow.

« Reply #85 on: September 02, 2013, 04:19:41 PM »

Offline Black Mink

You join a Grand company in the story quests shortly after the Ifrit battle. I joined maelstrom (limsa). There doesn't appear to be any significant difference. The items you are able to obtain are just colored differently.

I did join a small free company. That's the equivalent of a guild. It's called Amazonia, and is an all-female character group, with a bit of an amazon theme. I think we have less than 20 members, but we do want to raid eventually. I actually feel bad that I haven't been able to level as much as I would have liked. I am actually the lowbie if you can believe it. I really hope the server issues get resolved on wednesday so that I can do some catching up.

« Reply #86 on: September 02, 2013, 06:47:06 PM »

Offline Auric

• Northbourne
Yeah I finally managed to get on tonight, did a couple of quests and then my game froze for some reason and I just gave up on getting back in. 20 minutes of play time, over an hour combined logging screen time. It really sucks that the people who are logging out and not stressing the servers are the ones that get punished by the current system while other people just stay on logged on 24/7 and tote it like a badge of honor. They even brag about it in shout/general chat. Drives me crazy. Hopefully with most people having to work tomorrow I'll actually have a shot at logging in. And yeah hopefully they get these server issues resolved and start server transfers soon.

« Reply #87 on: September 05, 2013, 10:47:37 PM »

Offline Black Mink

Well, the server improvements seem to have solved the login problems. I am now able to log in and play freely without issue. Here are some random thoughts of mine over the past week:

1. I am really enjoying this game. It is Final Fantasy XIV. Not just an MMO named Final Fantasy XIV. It's more like this is Final Fantasy XIV, with an MMO wrapped around it. The main story is absolutely the newest Final Fantasy. The colorful characters, the way the plot unfolds, the looming villains observing you from afar. It's all done in that unique Final Fantasy way.

2. I don't know why people claim that Brayflox is difficult. I have ran it several times now and found it quite easy. Also I got the caster chest piece on my first try, and it sure looks good on me. This is a very cool dungeon, but people seem to skip a lot of chests.

3. Titan. Wow. The Ifrit fight was fun. It felt like a mini 4-man raid boss. Titan is about 10x harder and can get frustrating with bad people. But Titan's difficulty is misleading. It's actually a very fun and cool fight. The problems come from players rage quitting, and the buggy AOE avoidance. If a player quits the instance, the whole group is screwed, because you cant replace people once you are in. The other problem is that the titan fight is on a high platform, and he has an attack that will knock you off to your death. Because AOEs are buggy, it's very possible to get launched off the edge, even though you dodged the attack. I actually discovered that it's more beneficial to run toward titan when he does it. Better to take a lot of damage and maybe get res'd ON the platform, than to get thrown off.

4. I love unlocking stuff. This isn't like other MMOs where your next character will just have to do everything all over again. There is no need to make more characters, so things don't 'reset' on you. Mounts are a good example. In this game, once you obtain a mount, it's yours always. Even if you switch to a new low level job, you can still ride your mount at level 1. Your teleport network is still your own. Any old equipment you have been holding onto is readily available. Once you have mapped an area, your map is forever. Finally, while this also means that quests can only be completed once, the game gives you a nice big exp bonus for any combat class lower than your highest level. So leveling is a little faster the second time.

« Reply #88 on: September 06, 2013, 09:12:05 AM »

Offline Black Mink

New info from yoshida:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/83596-Further-Server-and-System-Improvements?p=1204429#post1204429

Those are some pretty impressive server numbers. I recall that in the early days of MMOs like EQ and DAOC, servers were at their limit somewhere in the range of 1000 - 1500 people. This has somewhat improved over the years as the technology improved, but FFXIV's 5000 player server capacity a week ago was still a very impressive number. Today they can handle over 7000.

And yes, for those of you who are NOT playing it yet, there are tons of people everywhere.

« Reply #89 on: September 07, 2013, 04:24:38 PM »

Offline Draegos

hope they allow server transfers.

im really not liking crafting all that much lol